Tuesday 18 May 2010

What's in a name?

I have already commented on the rebrand of the Office of the Brolly Sector as the Office of Gampal Society but the more I think about it the more I feel I need to throw my toys out of the blogging pram. Especially since my spoofer Stephen Bubb so effortlessly parodied my own blog post his morning.

In times of crisis an Oxford educated chap will always reach for the high brow quote in an attempt to confuse people or make himself seem more credible. Even if it isn't relevant. As Shakespeare put it "a rose by any other name would still be a sodding rose". I have said before that what the umbrella sector calls itself doesn't matter. Please bear this in mind as you read the rest of my rant where I make that point forcibly while at the same point undermining it by repeatedly arguing that what we call ourself really bloody does matter if it isn't what I want.

Despite my Great Aunt Maude telling us last year that there wouldn't be pointless name changing, there has been pointless name changing. I am shocked that stuff politicians have told us at a conference has proved to be a lie. Making a glib promise because it appeals to the audience should constitute a contract. I wonder what else we will be let down on.

This anger at the name change has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that BUBB's strapline is Brolly Sector Leaders while NCVO favours the term Gampal Society.

You'd never catch BUBB (also known at various points as bubb, Bubb and even BNUBB in the old days) rebranding or wasting money on such fads.

But never fear. I have the stubbornness to ignore this name change and will simply carry on as if nothing has happened. Which my members will thank me for when no one in government is talking to me. I have previous on this. I still call Snickers, Marathons, and Starburst, Opal Fruits. I still refer to Sri Lanka as Ceylon and Thailand as Siam.

It would be really embarrassing as well if I now said that I think Gampal Society as a term will go the same way as Bogg Society (kicked into very long grass) 5 minutes before the government reveals, admittedly vague, plans about Bogg Society. I really would look a tool if that happened eh?

Good job that brollies getting on with the day job have better things to do than worry about what we are called! Because what we call ourselves doesn't matter. Even when it clearly gets right on my tits.

No comments:

Post a Comment