Sunday 27 September 2009

Still not back in the office

It is now roughly 1 year, 7 months, 14 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes and 45 seconds since I was at my desk, such has been my extensive travelling. I must qualify for special gypsy privileges and Romany caravan miles after all this roaming. All in the interests of umbrellas of course.

I got back from the States in time for a quick visit to Blacbury to see Barkles and put my sprouts on for Xmas dinner and am now down in Brighton for a week at the seaside and sucking up to the Labour hierarchy at its conference. Soon I will be so networked that I will be in danger of strangling myself with connections and introductions. And I have put my back out carrying business cards around.

The last couple of days in NYC went well. I maanged to have a chat with Bill Clinton. I was a bit worried about this as we have a bit of previous but he didn't seem to remember me. He told me we had the best organised umbrella sector in the world. Well, what he actually said was "it's just as well Britain has a half decent brolly membership body as it's always pissing it down, you slimy limey bastard".

Also saw Brad Pitt (loved the beard) give a stirring speech about how he and Angelina were going to try and adopt an umbrella from every poor country in the world to make them look saintly and gain free positive publicity for their films.

Amusingly, Cherie Blair spotted me while I was blogging and bounded over and smiled at me. Luckily, I managed to avoid falling in.

I will leave it there as if I drop any more big famous names I will break the floor. All in all it was a great event though all the false bonhomie and cheeriness got a bit wearing. But it was refreshing to hear not a single whinge all week, probably because all of the people there are minted and don't have to live in the real world they are claiming to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment