Monday 15 June 2009

Bumbershoots of recovery

I have been pondering for a while how to gain greater acceptance for one of my favourite slang terms for an umbrella - the bumbershoot. If you look in a dictionary (Oxford English, naturally) you will find that it is a colloquial term of American origin derived from combining umbrella and parachute. Click here for more etymology and info on its usage in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang if you really have nothing better to do.

Therefore BUBB has decided to launch a new initiative to raise the profile of this criminally unknown word. My initial idea to change the name of BUBB to the British Bumbershoot Backing Body has been vetoed by the trustees for what I can only assume are spurious acronymistic reasons. ("Makes us sound like a stutterer trying to swear", I overheard one of them remark). Therefore we are launching the Campaign to Raise Usage and Mentions of Bumbershoots Lovingly In Everyday Speech (CRUMBLIES) and will not rest until bumbershoot naturally trips off the collective tongue of the nation.

You don't have to do much, just try and drop it into everyday conversation.

"My, that's a nice bumbershoot you have."

"Oh, your bumbershoot is dripping wet, is it pissing down outside by any chance?"

"Oh bugger, its drizzling like buggery and I have left my sodding bumbershoot at home."

So go on, do your bit and let's make a real difference to the richness of our language.

No comments:

Post a Comment