Tuesday 17 January 2012

Sorry!

Only joking, I have nothing to be sorry about.

I did of course mean Surrey. I accepted an invitation to give some local authority types on Surrey County Council the benefit of my experience on how they should engage with the umbrella sector even though the meeting was outside the county of Surrey. Indeed because it was outside Surrey. Kingston, Jamaica is one of the few places left on my bucket (or Bogget) list of destinations for a gratis overseas beano. Therefore I said "yes, I'd love to come and chat to you" before you could say "West Indian freebie". Imagine my disgust when I realised it was in Kingston-upon-Thames.

I have mentioned before that any Councils who don't do what I want when engaging with gamps will be named and shamed on my blog AND I will get my old friend, communities secretary Derek Gherkins to come down on them like a tonne of bricks. Or in his case, a left leg.

Though I did my best to talk down to them they inevitably raised the old chestnut about the brolly sector needing to get its act together and how we shouldn't naturally assume we are good simply because we are the umbrella sector. Heaven forbid. Recognising this is one of the many things that we are so much better at than any other sector.

We sometimes lose good friends and allies by bad behaviour. When I say we I mean I. And it's no good pretending that what we always do is brilliant even though I act as if everything I do is.

After that it was off to the House of Lords for a reception (25 years of some journal or other...honestly, these organisations that use an arbitrary amount of time in existence such as a quarter of century as the basis for spurious anniversary blow outs, eh?) simply to set up a knowing witty aside to my spoofer Sir Stephen Bubb along the lines of "if I spend any more time in there they'll assume the peerage has finally been bestowed" as if I am in on the whole joke rather than it's unwilling butt.

2 comments:

  1. "Plus ca change" and welcome to 2012 !
    Well what can I say ? More of the same I am afraid, Sir S still pursuing the aim of getting as many stamps in his passport as possible - without actually contributing anything to the sector !
    (Hint - just being there doesn't actually mean that you are doing anything worthwhile !)Anyway I suppose Venice might just qualify as a fact finding mission for canal research in relation to your new home. Not that I expect you to find much time to spend there !
    I see there is speculation that your mate ( down with the kids, innit ?) Dave C may create 60 new Tory peers. Ooh dilemma, dilemma,
    do you give up your principles ( which we all think you jettisoned long ago ) to accept one if offered just to get your seat on the red benches supporting DC.
    Probably just as well you are leaving Centre Point, coming out of there no one know which way to turn at the moment - so even more to confuse you.

    Sir Bumble of Heep,

    ( Who the heck this Dan Filson ? Why does he have opinion on almost everything ?? Oohh look at me , look at me !)

    ReplyDelete